Vancouver Naturopaths – Colds & Flu
Battle Plan Against Colds and Flu
Vancouver Naturopaths Preventing Colds and Flu
To cut the odds of coming down with colds and flu this winter season, always take caution to guard against germs by washing hands frequently, and avoiding contact with people who are sick. Eating a nutritious diet, balance your activities and work are good practices as well.
Taking a flu shot is an individual choice. Natural preventative therapies for flu and colds include Influenzinum 9CH and Thymuline 9CH homeopathic preparations with weekly doses taken over a 5-week course. Early October is a good time to start on the natural flu prevention program offered at the Radiant Natural Health Clinic on the Electra Health Floor.
Vancouver Naturopathy Clinic
Electra Health Floor – 970 Burrard Street, Vancouver BC
Open 7 days a week from 8 am to 8 pm
Signs and Symptoms of Colds and Flu
Both common colds and the flu are of a viral cause. Routes of entry for viruses include mouth, nose, and eyes. First symptoms of common cold include tickle in the throat, stuffy nose and sneezing. People who have a common cold might have mild aches and pains, lack of appetite and tiredness. Flu symptoms are more severe than those of colds and typically include fever, body aches, and fatigue.
Natural Relief for Colds and Flu
When you first feel yourself becoming sick, there are measures to take to avoid getting ill or to shorten the duration of the illness. Get plenty of rest and drink lots of fluids (filtered water or herbal tea) are the first things to do.
Home remedies that are readily available in your own kitchen to combat colds and flu include:
- Ginger tea: slice up a two-inch chunk of fresh ginger root, boil gently in 4 cups of water for 20 minutes, strain, then add juice of half a lemon and a tablespoon of honey. Drink warm throughout the day for relief of chest and nasal congestion.
- Garlic: eat a raw clove or two daily by mashing or chopping it up and mixing into food, or add to dishes just before they finish cooking.
- Home hydrotherapy: Warming Sock Treatment, Therapeutic Uses of Essential Oils for Colds and Flu, Hot Foot or Body Bath
Common herbs and supplement preparations for cold and flu treatment include:
- Oscillococcinum: a homeopathic remedy to take at first sign of flu.
- Echinacea purpurea: antiviral and immune boosting herb.
- Vitamin C: immune boosting vitamin.
The outcome on the treatment of flu and colds with these herbs and supplements will depend on the dose and the frequency. Only a trained physician could devise a successful program suitable for you.
BACK to Naturopathy Vancouver